Re: Initialization order of PCI devices

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 18:31:00 EST

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> James Sutherland wrote:
> > Sending the bootp requests through every card is the remaining choice,
> > then?
>
> Doing so seems to violate good-neighbor policy,

Perhaps; OTOH, is a surplus bootp request packet really harmful?

> and also has the potential of waking up links, including fee-based
> links, unnecessarily.

In all the cases I've experienced for chargeable on-demand links, the IP
addresses are allocated by the gateway itself, and don't involve
connecting. I suppose you could have, say, a remote office LAN over a
routed link, and all the IP addresses are allocated by a central server;
that would involve dialling up... :-(

James.