Re: killall -9 does not work !?

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:17:10 EST

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 12:29:03PM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

    Have seen the same -- httpd hung when coming up -- I guess
    something was misconfigured. It was on a lab machine, so didn't
    care so much, but kill -9 on the <pid> had no effect. I think it
    was waiting on WCHAN 'down'.

    Weird.

On a server that has gone mad, kill -9 may not appear to work
instantly if there are many pages swapped out.

If there isn't swapping and a process is stuck in down, then
something has deadlocked and needs to be fixed.

   --cw