Re: killall -9 does not work !?

From: J. Robert von Behren (jrvb@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 18:18:16 EST

FWIW, I can reliably get smbd (the samba daemon) to ignore SIGKILL. I'm
running 2.2.12-20 with samba 2.0.7. Here are the steps for reproducing
this:

   1) define a share "tmp" that points to /tmp on the machinen
   2) smbmount //host/tmp /tmp/mnt
   3) ls /tmp/mnt/mnt

At this point, the ls hangs, and smbd can't be killed w/ kill -9.
Killing the ls cleans this up, and allows smbd to exit, so I presume the
issue here is that the smbd process is providing a filesystem interface
to the kernel, and the ongoing "ls" makes that filesystem busy. (I
believe the fact that the ls hangs is a samba bug, but that is another
story.)

Perhaps something similar is happening the cases others have observed?
Is this appropriate behavior, or should kill -9 still be able to wipe
out the sbmd process?

-Rob von Behren

2.2.12