VM performance on 64Mb in pre9-4/5

From: Benjamin Redelings I (bredelin@ucla.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:19:36 EST

Hi Juan,
        Thanks for all the tuning! pre9-4 definately performs better. It is
almost as good as pre7-4 at swapping, and probably better at other
things. Very usable :)

        I think pre7-6 broke (compared to pre7-4) because swap_cnt==RSS, or
RSS==0. This means that swap pages are ONLY taken from processes with
large RSS. Pre9-4 is fixed because it decrements swap_cnt even if
pte_young(pte) is true. More on this later.

Hard data:
        Yes, xfs-xtt, and other damons are swapped out. They EVENTUALLY reach
an RSS of 4k, but it takes a long time (e.g. 4 hours of use) before they
reach this level, and other processes like netscape are swapped out in
the meantime. However, netscape, X, emacs are also partially swapped
out. I must admit though, that many of the pages swapped out of these
processes stay out.

        Also, this kernel does a much better job at swapping ENOUGH pages out:
telomere:~> free
             total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 62740 53424 9316 0 412
25348
-/+ buffers/cache: 27664 35076
Swap: 128484 36400 92084

        OK, back to swap_cnt. I finally read the code and looked at the
swap-out algorithm. 2 things struck me (which I should have known):
        1) in pre-8, swap-out is called on PROCESSES, not PAGES. swap_cnt is
used to guess which processes have lots of freeable pages. However, in
pre-8, swap_cnt == RSS or swap_cnt==0. This means that many processes
will rarely have swap_out_mm called on them.
        2) try_to_swap_out does important things besides actually swapping out,
so if it is not working we have problems even on machines that don't use
swap. For example, with pre9-3, I had almost 60MB of used memory
running only gnome and X! That is crazy. But it is not surprising if
swap_out_mm is never called on small processes.

        If swap_cnt==RSS, then swap_cnt is fundamentally broken. In that case,
we don't need this line in swap_out_pmd:
                if (!mm->swap_cnt)
                        return 0;
        But in pre9-4, swap_cnt is decreased when pages are scanned, even if
but nothing is swapped out. This means that if a large process, like
netscape, has no unused pages, other process can still have a turn in
the swap_out code, because netscape's swap_cnt will go down even if its
RSS is high.
        In fact I wonder what would happen if you tried this...

        if (pte_young(pte)) {
           if (mm->swap_cnt)
             mm->swap_cnt--;
        }
        if (PageReferenced(page))
                mm->swap_cnt--;

        This will encourage the VM subsystem not to spend all its time scanning
processes that should really be in memory. I'm not really sure that it
would be a good idea, but what is certain is that a better algorithm for
swap_cnt is desperately needed. Right now there is (I think) no
mechanism to ensure that all process get turns in swap_out_mm.

OK, I hope this is helpful!
-BenRI

--
"I want to be in the light, as He is in the Light,
 I want to shine like the stars in the heavens." - DC Talk, "In the