Re: 8259A initialization with AMD SC520 chip (586)

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:32:06 EST

In article <E12ts2L-0001Ax-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

>256 clocks. Assuming parallel execution of both instructions 128 clocks. 128
>clocks at 1GHz, is 8uS. So for likely future cpus we can assume it gets you
>2uS - ok. Providing of course transmeta doesnt code morph it out !

We'd love to, but we don't touch code like that. We could have made the
old bogomips give infinite values if we _really_ wanted to, but code
like that has one purpose, and one purpose only: delaying. So we never
remove those kinds of loops.

(And in any case it would have been extra logic - empty loop removal is
very much a special case, so whatever we did would have been an extra
wart rather than anything that came really naturally to the way morphing
works..)

                        Linus