Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Benchmark Suite

From: Guus Sliepen (guus@warande3094.warande.uu.nl)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:28:40 EST

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I'd really love it if this effort got started. I have a huge backlog of
> lmbench submissions that I have not processed and put up on the web. I
> just don't have time these days but the data is there.

> Furthermore, I've done a lot of work like what you are proposing and I'd
> like Linux to benefit from that, but I can't start a project to do that.
> On the other hand, if there are people who want to work on it, I can
> certainly help focus the efforts. I've literally spent years doing this
> sort of thing at SGI & Sun and it seems a waste that I'm not passing on
> that knowledge/experience. So I'll help if someone else wants to drive.

Great!

I've just checked out lmbench, that is indeed what I envisioned, except
that it does some general benchmarks that apply to most Unices, and I
think many developpers like to see their own Linux specific benchmark to
go into that too, so they can gather information about the performance of
their driver/patch. It was also a little hard to find (I had to use
FTPsearch and follow some links), you should put it on Freshmeat IMO :).

This, combined with an automated repository that would gather all
information and send digests on request to developpers, would certainly
benefit development I think.

Well I hope more developpers will comment on this.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.