Re: [prepatch] Directory Notification

From: Michael Gerdts (gerdts@cae.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:26:32 EST

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 08:25:05AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> A much more obvious place where directory notification won't work is for
> any kind of shared filesystem --- i.e., GFS, or any other networked
> filesystem (NFS, smbfs, etc.). But that's for pretty obvious
> reasons....

My first thought was along these lines as well. Sun faced a similar
situation with POSIX ACL's over NFS. The solution was to make it so that
their nfsd added an nfs_acl service, which made commands like getfacl() and
setfacl() work properly over NFS.

It seems to me that directory notifications could be handled in a similar
manner without a whole lot of difficulty. Applications (like always) would
just need to be aware that not all file systems will support this feature.
Additionall, the NFS client code would need to be aware that the server may
not support directory notifications.

Come to think of it, this could make it so that when both the NFS client
and the NFS server support directory notifications, the NFS client could
use this method to enhance the functionality of attribute caching. Then
again, I have worked on all of about 3 lines of the NFS code.

Mike