2.2.15 - prob. handling Brother MFC lpr (out-of-mem)

From: Gary Funck (gary@Intrepid.Com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 22:49:40 EST

Not exactly a show stopper, but we tried hooking our Linux system
(Redhat 6.1 with kernel upgrade to 2.215) up to our Brother
MFC (Multifunction Copier/FAX/printer) as an line printer.
It worked fine on one-at-time, smallish print jobs, but received
a "memory full" error back from the copier/printer when a large
job was sent to the printer. There was no Brother-specific driver,
so we used an HP driver, because they are supposedly compatible.
I don't know if this is a printer problem (by not asserting
device busy when the memory buffer is near full), or a problem
in the driver software not interacting properly with the
printer. In any event, the device isn't very useful or
reliable in its present state. Any suggestions on other
drivers, or things to try would be appreciated.
   - Gary