Re: Music CD's

Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 15:53:29 EST

> Sorry, but I have to say that that has to be the dumbest idea I have ever
> seen.

Depends.

> Reading audio off of an audio CD is not a perfect process. If you read the
> Audio CD specification you'll notice that the best resolution you can get is
> 1/63 of a second (since every frame is 1/75 of a second). So to fix that
> problem you need things like jitter correction algorithms (unless your CD-ROM
> already does it) and algorithms to correctly get around scratches.

He read the white book. :)

> Trying to put all that crap in the kernel is pretty dumb. And if you just do
> a half-assed job and only let it work for perfect non-scratched CDs on
> CD-ROMs with built-in jitter correction, then we will have even more
> half-assed MP3s with pops and skips in them.

I don't know HOW many MP3s I have with pops and skips, but every single
one bugs the crap out of me. Even worse is the BAD JC algoritms or
doubling JC algorithms on corrected drives! Those produce whine and hiss
in the high end and make me want to find out who encoded the MP3 and take
his computer away from him.

> By far, the best thing to do is keep this crap OUT of the kernel. The
> cdparanoia program can do just about anything you want, and NEVER pops or
> skips even on shitty drives. If you are making MP3s of CDs I strongly
> suggest that you use cdparanoia and a good encoder.

Never is a big word :) but i agree, this stuff needs to stay out of kernel
and remain in user-space. As far as encoding goes...get the best encoder
you can. and that usually means the slow ones. the slow ones do MATH to
see what algorithm to use given that time, which equates to a better MP3.
or if you are one that could care less about sound quality, then by all
means, encode with shitty ripper and encoder. But, if you are doing that
then you might as well be listening to 8 track tapes, as that is about the
quality one could expect from something like that.