Re: Music CD's

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 16:05:01 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 09:03:20PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > You cannot mount audio CD's, as you have found out.
>
> You can.
> But you have to apply a little patch ;)
> Look at http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~ptolomei/audiofs/
> If it only could make mp3s on the fly ...

Sorry, but I have to say that that has to be the dumbest idea I have ever
seen.

Reading audio off of an audio CD is not a perfect process. If you read the
Audio CD specification you'll notice that the best resolution you can get is
1/63 of a second (since every frame is 1/75 of a second). So to fix that
problem you need things like jitter correction algorithms (unless your CD-ROM
already does it) and algorithms to correctly get around scratches.

Trying to put all that crap in the kernel is pretty dumb. And if you just do
a half-assed job and only let it work for perfect non-scratched CDs on
CD-ROMs with built-in jitter correction, then we will have even more
half-assed MP3s with pops and skips in them.

By far, the best thing to do is keep this crap OUT of the kernel. The
cdparanoia program can do just about anything you want, and NEVER pops or
skips even on shitty drives. If you are making MP3s of CDs I strongly
suggest that you use cdparanoia and a good encoder.

-Dave