Re: Music CD's

From: Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 22:27:03 EST

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, David Elliott wrote:

  Christoph Hellwig wrote:

  Sorry, but I have to say that that has to be the dumbest idea I have ever
  seen.

it's not really. Everything should be represented as a file in our
namespace if at all possible. And we should strive to make this true
for Audio CD's as well.

("so everything in Unix is a file?"
 "yes.. it's great. A real clean design idea that"
 "Everything?"
 "well just about.. except for audio cd's, network devices.."
 "oh..")

it just breaks the cleanness of unix IMO.

  Reading audio off of an audio CD is not a perfect process. If you read the
  Audio CD specification you'll notice that the best resolution you can get is
  1/63 of a second (since every frame is 1/75 of a second). So to fix that
  problem you need things like jitter correction algorithms (unless your CD-ROM
  already does it) and algorithms to correctly get around scratches.

  Trying to put all that crap in the kernel is pretty dumb. And if you just do
  a half-assed job and only let it work for perfect non-scratched CDs on
  CD-ROMs with built-in jitter correction, then we will have even more
  half-assed MP3s with pops and skips in them.

very true. And putting cdparanoia would be a bad thing. Agreed.
However having cd-player programmes needing to open a block device to
play a track is 'half-assed' too.

Tracks are reasonably clear objects of a 'audio cd', and as such they
should logically be part of the namespace. So it still would be a
'good thing' if we could export audio cd's as part of the global
namespace, and export enough hooks so that user space programmes can
do error-correction.

  By far, the best thing to do is keep this crap OUT of the kernel. The
  cdparanoia program can do just about anything you want, and NEVER pops or
  skips even on shitty drives. If you are making MP3s of CDs I strongly
  suggest that you use cdparanoia and a good encoder.

  -Dave

Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt