Re: IP changes in 2.3.4x make things wierd?

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 13:21:30 EST

Hello!

> Let's allow Alexey to comment further first.

I have nothing to add really. We have done this mistake,
we have to recognize it and prodigal son Linux returns
to his BSD father eventually. 8) It is not tragedy, but rather
happy end.

The feature was not used by any applications to now in positive sense,
mostly in negative one. That fact that portmap is called even if nobody
asked to use RPC is not-related fact and fixing this configuration
bug will make Linux apps only faster. It is occasional but lucky finding.

To add, libraries need not any changes. New distribution
will have correct nsswitch.conf without spurious "nisplus" switch
exactly like Solaris do. That's all. óertainly, hooking IP_RECVERR
will add robustness, but it rather option than demand.

Alexey