Re: IP changes in 2.3.4x make things wierd?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 16:36:38 EST

   Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:33:31 +0000 (GMT)
   From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

   Ok IP_RCVERR seems to help. Except of course that its not back compatible,
   while the SO_BSDCOMPAT option is very much so and if the libc folks have
   been paying attention is automatic for code built FAVOUR_BSD.

We should rename it to SO_GIVE_ME_RANDOM_ERRORS_FROM_OTHER_SOCKETS

   glibc doesn't use IP_RECVERR nor do the NIS libraries. If we make this change
   the C libraries will need fixing, and for some dialup configurations libc5
   will also need fixing really.

Actually it seems people should fix their configurations. Every
problem I have seen reported is of the form "I have X enabled in
nsswitch.conf (or wherever it is done) when I don't even have these
network services available at all".

   So why not use the existing API SO_BSDCOMPAT option. Its been there
   for four years and doesn't break back compatibility of the BSD cases.

Let's allow Alexey to comment further first.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com