Re: IP changes in 2.3.4x make things wierd?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 19:09:33 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> To add, libraries need not any changes. New distribution
> will have correct nsswitch.conf without spurious "nisplus" switch
> exactly like Solaris do. That's all. óertainly, hooking IP_RECVERR
> will add robustness, but it rather option than demand.

It's not spurious though... Solaris and Linux' nsswitch has worked in
fail-over-to-next-method mode for as long as I can remember. In fact,
there is even a RETURN=fail token on Solaris to indicate that failure
should abort instead of (the default) trying next mode.

And wearing my MandrakeSoft vendor hat, changes like this in general
suck for us, because there are suddenly additional upgrade issues for
legacy installs, and addition config versioning issues.

Regards,

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              |
Building 1024            | Viva la open source!