Re: 2.0 vs 2.2 ppp trouble

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 07:31:18 EST

> We can't put our finger on it yet, but it seems that if you use a MTU/MRU
> of 1500 for ppp connects the 2.2 kernel is doing fine, but when you use a
> lower MTU, fi 576 for better response on slow links, packages seem to get
> lost.

You mean you can't view certain web sites

> So far we have seen this behaveour on all 2.2 kernels that have a
> different MTU on the internal ethernet adapter and the external ppp
> adapter.

Sounds like broken MTU discovery or incorrect firewalling at the remote
end. 2.0 probably isnt doing path mtu discovery. Quite a few large web sites
have incorrectly configured firewalls, including one very big one beginning
with Y. These people often paid a consultant a lot of money to break their
networking and they wont listen to other people telling them its wrong.

Alan