Re: Problems reading one DVD (other DVDs work) [english version]

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 12:31:31 EST

On Fri, Feb 18 2000, Michael Mess wrote:
> The Problem while reading the files still persists.
> I have heard that the Toshiba SDW 1101 does not support autentication
> and lets you read every file without autentication.

That is not true -- the W1101 does not support authentication, but
it will still refuse to read scrambled sectors. I know, I've
tested it myself.

> Could there be another way to make the drive read the files or the disk
> (in raw mode)?
> I have heard that the Toshiba SDW 1101 has problems with 10 Byte or 6
> Byte read/write commands.

That is true, it doesn't care much for 6-byte read/write commands.
There is no other way to get to the data.

> I think it is really strange that the drive can read every other DVD I
> have, but refuses to read this one.

Well, the others are probably not encrypted.

> you have to unlock the DVD-medium at first. This has to do with the
> css-encryption. Get 'tstdvd' from www.opendvd.org (or linuxtv.org)

Yes, and but you can't to that with the W1101.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer