Re: Problems reading one DVD (other DVDs work) [english version]

From: Michael Mess (michael@michaelmess.de)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 06:58:38 EST

Hi,

In my last mail there were many things in German. Because many people
asked me to translate that to english, I send this mail again with some
Translations.

Greetings, Michael

Michael Mess wrote:

> <root@rakete>:/ide/compile/livid/nist/css-auth>./tstdvd /dev/scd1
> GetASF failed
> N/A, invalidating: Invalid argument
> N/A, invalidating: Invalid argument
> N/A, invalidating: Invalid argument
> Request AGID [1]... Request AGID [2]... Request AGID [3]...
> Cannot get AGID
> <root@rakete>:/ide/compile/livid/nist/css-auth>
>
> Das Problem mit den Dateien besteht auch weiterhin.
> Angeblich soll das Toshiba SDW 1101 alle Dateien auch ohne
> Authentication freigeben, da dieses Feature nicht implementiert sei.

The Problem while reading the files still persists.
I have heard that the Toshiba SDW 1101 does not support autentication
and lets you read every file without autentication.

> Gibt es da vielleicht noch eine andere Möglichkeit, um das Drive zu
> zwingen, die Dateien zu übertragen oder die CD roh zu lesen?
> Ich habe mal gehört, daß das Drive Probleme mit der Implementation von
> 10Byte oder 6Byte Read/Write-Befehlen hat.

Could there be another way to make the drive read the files or the disk
(in raw mode)?
I have heard that the Toshiba SDW 1101 has problems with 10 Byte or 6
Byte read/write commands.

> Ein cat /dev/scd1 schlägt auch fehl:

cat /dev/scd1 also fails.

> <michael@rakete>:~>cat /dev/scd1 > /dev/null
> cat: /dev/scd1: Input/output error
>
> sr1: CD-ROM error: Info fld=0x2890, Current sr0b:01: sense key Illegal
> Request
> command was: Read (6) 00 70 1a 08 00
> CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 114792
>
> Ich finde es allerdings irgendwie eigenartig, daß es alle anderen DVDs
> fehlerfrei liest.

I think it is really strange that the drive can read every other DVD I
have, but refuses to read this one.

> Viele Grüße, Michael

Greetings, Michael

> Harald Koenig wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 17, Michael Mess wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > When I try to play the DVD-Video "MADONNA - The Girlie Show - Live Down
> > > under" (Warner, No 7599-38391-2) with XMOVIE
> > > (http://heroine.linuxbox.com/xmovie.html) and a Toshiba DVD-RAM SD-W
> > > 1101
> > > the XMOVIE-player crashes immediately.
> > >
> > > dmesg then shows me errors like this.
> > >
> > > CD-ROM I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 9171972
> > > sr1: CD-ROM error: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sr0b:01: sense key
> > > Illegal Request
> >
> > du must das DVD-medium erst `freischalten'. das hat mit der verschluesselung

you have to unlock the DVD-medium at first. This has to do with the
css-encryption. Get 'tstdvd' from www.opendvd.org (or linuxtv.org)

> > zu tun. suche nachdem tool `tstdvd' z.b. auf www.opendvd.org (oder linuxtv.org?)
> > und verwende

and do a

> > tstdvd /dev/scd1
> >
> > vor dem mounten und alles wird gut;)

before mounting the DVD. Then everything will be good;)