Re: Of removable devices

From: Anton Ivanov (aivanov@eu.level3.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 10:11:41 EST

> What do you mean by "blown format" ?
>
> I you eject a floppy during read on amiga , just just get a "Put it back
> in !"
> message , and when you put in back in , it continues with read and
> nothing bad
> happens.
> For writing it is a little bit worse , becasue amigaOS just overwrites (
> AFAIK )
> the entire track ,so some older sectors might be lost, but this isn't
> the case
> on wintel PCs, because they operate sector-wise , so it shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> The kernel just retries the failed sector and everything is OK.
>
> Anyway, if the floppy is ejected when no R/W operation is in progress,
> then there
> is _absolutely_ no problem. User puts the floppy back on request and the
> world is saved !
>
> And dont come with that "Where should be the request displayed" cr*p !
> If you have no better idea, display it on the console !
>
> Or just display not message , but start blinking the drive LED and move
> the
> head like crazy , right after the in-use floppy is removed. That should
> get the (l)user's attention :-)

On most decent 144 and 288 floppies unless you have a disk inside all head move
requests are happily ignored by the drive.

So resistanse is futile.

So suggested is: On fdc error beep and wait before retry. Repeat after me: BEEP
and WAIT. Not like the floppy is very far from the speaker.

Ah, and return -EAGAIN so that the vfs layer retries. On retry check the WAIT
status if not expired -EAGAIN. And make sure you do not f...k error routines for
real IO errors ;-)

Sorry for adding for this overabused thread but this is discussing fscked
hardware. You have a limit on how much can you actually do in software to
compensate for the fact that the original ISA should be called not Industrial
Standard Architecture, but Idiotism Standard Architecture.

Anton R. Ivanov
IP Engineer Level3 Communications
RIPE: ARI2-RIPE E-Mail: Anton Ivanov <aivanov@eu.level3.net>
@*** Johnson's Corollary to Heller's Law ***
      Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within
      your organization.