Re: Unable to load Creative ViBRA16X PnP with kernels 2.3.4[456]

From: Daniel Schepler (schepler@math.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 15:55:31 EST

Ian Peters <itp@gnu.org> writes:

> I sent mail to the list 13/02 about this problem. This problem
> persists with kernels 2.3.45 and 2.3.46. I also received a private
> reply from someone else who has experienced this problem. In his
> case, explicitly adding the correct io, irq, and dma options on
> options, the module won't load. I'm perfectly willing to do whatever
> I can to help debug this, if someone tells me what is needed.
>
> Problem:
>
> isapnp appears to detect the card fine, with the following messages at
> boot time:
>
> ---
> isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
> isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
> isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
> ---

I had the same problem on upgrading from 2.3.39 to 2.3.46. I finally
got mine to work (except it was 'Creative SB16 PnP') once I used
/proc/isapnp to set up and activate the card manually, then loaded the
sb module with all the io/irq/dma info specified, and with isapnp=0
set. This seems like a heavy-handed kludge which shouldn't be
necessary, though.

--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."