Re: Of removable devices

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 18:43:43 EST

In <E12LZ1Z-0002Ou-00@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
>> Eh? If one wants to pull the mounted device in the middle of write and
>> expects his data alive and well after that - well, he _is_ idiot. If you
>> want political correctness - please: comprehension-challenged. Better?

> End users don't always get it. They often aren't computing people. If they
> turn off the TV or pull the plug out of the wall the TV doesnt break.

If will switch gear on full speed improperly (without pressing "unmount"
button by foot :-) you'll need to repair you car in no time. On most current
cars there are automatic gear. PC does not have automatic gear for floppies
yet. Is this explanation too complex for "non-computing people" ?

> You need to think outside the computing mindset - not even neccessarily
> into brightness either - someone can be very bright and utterly incapable of
> relating to computers.

Can he/she drive ?

> At the same time - the fix is hardware, the PC isnt fixable for this the
> CD-ROM drives are. The 2.2.x supermount stuff does that bit right

Exactly. As far as there are no automatic gear for floppies you can not
avoid manual unmount if you want reliable work.

P.S. BTW ZIP drive HAS needed knobs in place: when I press "Eject" button in
Windows I get message ON SCREEN "You are trying to eject disk while it's in
use. Ok, Cancel ?" (translation from Russian). If I press Ok disk is ejected,
if press Cancel disk will not be ejected. So at least for ZIP drive you can
implement proper supermount (with small change in kernel and autofs) --
hardware supports it.