Detecting BIG ( 17.2 GB ) hard drives under Linux

From: Hugo L. Varotto (hvarotto@cs.pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 17:39:49 EST

Greetings,

I've recently purchased a new hard drive ( 17.2 GB ) for my machine at
home and my idea is
to set it as a secondary drive of an already installed 6.4 GB. The new
hard drive is a
Western Digital 17.2 GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/66.

The original hard drive has a dual partition ( one for NT 4 SP3 and
another for a RedHat
6.1 with the 2.2.12 kernel that comes default with this distribution ).

The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS D266 with a Pentium II, 128 MB of RAM,
regular CD-ROM
and ATAPI ZIP drive. 'Cause originally the BIOS didn't recognize the hard
drive ( it
was an older 1997 BIOS ) I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS for
that machine
from the Dell website and installed it without a problem ( this version
supposedly knows
about disks of this size ).

Now, the problem is that the new BIOS recognized the new hard drive as a
17.2 GB, but
Linux recognizes it only as an 8 GB hard drive. NT recognizes it only as a
2 GB hard drive,
but that I believe is OK 'cause the documentation of the hard drive
indicates that in order
to get it recognized, I'll need to update NT to at least Service Pack 4. I
don't use NT as
much as to need to get the new service pack, so I'll devoid the new hard
drive completely
to Linux.

So, my question is: how to I get Linux to recognize the full size of the
hard drive ? Is
there a special option that I need to set up in the kernel or a module to
do it ?
RH 6.1 comes with a program ( kudzu ) that supposedly is used to
recognized new devices,
but it fails miserably ( segmentation fault ) with this hard drive.
Admittedly, I'm
using the kudzu that comes originally with RH 6.1 ( haven't checked if
there's an update ).

If for whatever reason nobody knows what's going wrong, I could run some
tests ( provided
that soemone explains me what to do 'cause I've never delved in the
filesystem modules
of the kernel, so I'm not sure what to try ) to get this solved.

Below I'm attaching the configuration of the BIOS, and the output of fdisk
and cfdisk.
I've created a 2 GB partition in the drive from NT to see if somehow
afterwards Linux
recognizes it as a 17.2 hard drive, but with no success.

Please, send me a copy of your reply to hvarotto@computer.org. I'm in the
middle of a move
between Pittsburgh and Chicago, and had to unsuscribe from the list
temporarily until I can
get a new account suitable for high volume mail traffic.

Best wishes,

Hugo

-------------
cfdisk 2.9w
Disk Drive: /dev/hdb
Size: 8455200768 bytes
Heads: 64
Sectors per Track: 63
Cylinders: 4095

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size
(MB)
hdb1 Primary FAT16 [NO NAME ]
2111.87
                        Pri/Log Free Space
6341.79

--------------

[root@eagle] fdisk /dev/hdb
The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4095.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 4095 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes
   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 1023 2062336+ 6 FAT16

--------------

BIOS settings ( as reported from the setup utility )

Phoenix BIOS 4A4LL0X0.10A.0035.D10 (A09)
Service Tag: CX6QW

Hard drive: Primary IDE slave[ WDC WD172AA.(PS)]
            Total sectors: 33687360
            Max Capacity: 17248
            Multi-sector transfer [16 sectors]
            LBA mode Control [Enabled]
            Transfer Mode [FPIO 4/DMA 2]
            Ultra DMA [Mode 2]

I've also disabled from the BIOS the "Plug and PLay OS" entry.