Re: Detecting BIG ( 17.2 GB ) hard drives under Linux

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 20:05:43 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 05:39:49PM -0500, Hugo L. Varotto wrote:

> Now, the problem is that the new BIOS recognized the new hard drive as a
> 17.2 GB, but Linux recognizes it only as an 8 GB hard drive.

Read the Large Disk HOWTO
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk.html

Unless I overlooked it you did not mention what Linux version you use.
Recent versions are fine and work out of the box.
(These days 17 GB is small, and the more recent problems were caused
by the 34 GB limit, but also these disks should work fine now on
all recent kernels. In some cases a BIOS upgrade is required.)