Re: 2.2.x Memory subsystem questions

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 09:37:37 EST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Mike Panetta wrote:

> I just resently upgraded a memory poor (16MB) system from the
> 2.0.36 kernel to 2.2.13 and am experiencing major swap issues.
> Its going into swap alot sooner than it did with the 2.0 kernel
> and this is causing me problems.

What kind of problems? Are you experiencing very bursty
swap behaviour? If so, that should be fixed, or at least
less, in 2.2.15 (pre-4 and later).

2.2.>13?? are set up in such a way that the system frees
up 256kB of memory _minimum_ when swapping, this is just
too much to swap out in one asynchronous transaction, it
will also cause an application (the one that's currently
doing a memory allocation) to block on that swap I/O and
consequently stall.

The patch to fix this (partly) has been sent to Alan Cox
yesterday evening...

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.