Re: ext2_free_blocks (fwd)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 08:02:19 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

>How do you know that?

I can't be sure of course. It's obvious it _can_ be hardware or a buggy
lowlevel I/O driver causing the on-memory corruption. An hardware or
software bug can do anything weird.

> [..] It's a plausible scenario,

So we agree :). In your original email you given an fs software problem as
the less probabile one, and I didn't agreed it was the less probabile one.

The _only_ thing I wanted to clarify with my followup is that the
corruption could be explained also from a genuine fs race (precisely the
one I fixed in 2.2.14).

> [..] but only if someone
>deleted the file containing the bad indrect block before running fsck.

The path that more probably released the blocks is truncate, and he
probably also released the problematic blocks after getting the complains
while interpreting them.

Andrea