Re: Linux for PPC - kernels 2.2 and 2.3

From: Peter Hunter (peter@fido.bfriars.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 06:30:02 EST

Thanks to Andreas and Costabel for their kind replies to me. Let me say
first of all that I agree that the PPC guys do a great job. My intention
wasn't to criticise them.

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 12:41:36AM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> build). Paul has a tree on linuxcare.com.au which you can access via
> rsync (rsync -auvz linuxcare.com.au::linux-pmac-devel < your dir>)
> It is/was a 2.3.38 until this morning (euro time)

Thanks for the info :-)

> Peter Hunter wrote:
> >
> > I had to apply the below patch to get Linux 2.2.14 to compile on PPC. With
>
> it wasn't the 2.2.14, the 2.2.14 works out of the box. :-)

Hmmmm.... I just tried recompiling the vanilla tree (2.2.14) and it won't
compile without my patch. Can you explain how pmac_setup.c can compile
without the patch? On my machine, it can't find ISA_DMA_THRESHOLD.

Is there stuff I can do to help to merge the new 2.3.x stuff for PPC
without extensive knowledge of kernel internals? I'm learning but still
have a long way to go in understanding the kernel.

Regards,

Peter