Re: Linux for PPC - kernels 2.2 and 2.3

From: Andreas Tobler (toa@pop.agri.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 18:41:36 EST

Hi Peter,
the below patches are obsolete for at least the 2.3.39pre2. The 2.3.39
won't build on PPC.
The last kernels didn't build up to 2.3.39pre2 Linus-tree (it will
build). Paul has a tree on linuxcare.com.au which you can access via
rsync (rsync -auvz linuxcare.com.au::linux-pmac-devel < your dir>)
It is/was a 2.3.38 until this morning (euro time)
One prob you'll have when compiling IDE, therefore you have to define
the XFER_UDMA_5 & 6 in linux/include/hdreg.h, you'll find it in the
2.3.39 branch.

Peter Hunter wrote:

> I had to apply the below patch to get Linux 2.2.14 to compile on PPC. With

it wasn't the 2.2.14, the 2.2.14 works out of the box. :-)

> this tiny patch it compiled fine but there is some trouble booting. If I
> boot MacOS and then use the BootX app to boot Linux, all is well, but if I
> boot via the BootX extention, Linux hangs during boot at some point between
> printing "TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 131072 bhash 65536)" and
> "Starting kswapd v 1.5".
>
> For 2.3.3[5678] at least, the kernel hasn't built. I had a determined go to
> get it to build 2.3.38 and found:
>
> - atyfb has two identical copies of function aty_sleep_notify
>
> - various files in arch/ppc/kernel required patches (supplied below in case
> they help some people get this fixed.)
>
> Still there was some trouble with the definition of hw_interrupt_type, and
> even when I kludged around that I got some undefined symbols in the link.
>
> If LinuxPPC hackers read this list, please don't flame me. I believe it is
> possible to get better source for PPC though I don't know where - it
> certainly isn't available on the ftp.kernel.org site. But shouldn't at
> least stable kernels work? And wouldn't it be a good idea to at least allow
> some of us who have platforms other than ix86 try out 2.3.x before it
> becomes 2.4.x?
Hope that helps

bye
Andreas