Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Stuart Lynne (sl@gateway.fireplug.net)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 16:53:23 EST

In article <38787EF3.46861950@highrise.nl>,
Hans de Goede <hans@highrise.nl> wrote:
>As an embedded system developer myself, I would like to say that
>tftp-ing initrd is a good idea, and a usefull feature. Sure there are
>other ways, which don't involve the kernel, most of them however involve
>the mini-boot-loader most embedded systems have, which is different for
>each embedded system. So if it can be fixed in one uniform place why
>not?

>Now if you could find a significant number of embedded system developers
>saying, we don't need that that is kernel polution, then I would be
>impressed.

I'll weigh in as Yet Another Embedded System Developer that likes this idea
and thinks that it is a) useful and b) a good way to handle the problem.

If necessary I'll just add it to my existing patch set and continue to
maintain it if I use it. Annoying but not, I guess, the end of the world
either.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@fireplug.net>                __O
<http://www.thinlinux.org>                  _-\<,_               604-461-7532