Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: jamal (hadi@cyberus.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 12:06:09 EST

Spoke Hans de Goede <hans@highrise.nl> >
>Now if you could find a significant number of embedded system developers
>saying, we don't need that that is kernel polution, then I would be
>impressed.

I have embedded Linux in a few devices and i claim this is kernel
pollution. I can assure you that DHCP, BOOTP and TFTP are not the only
mechanisms for remote loading -- but you probably know that already.
I have had to do http, ftp, ssh and nfs.
Really where do you draw the line? Initrd already provides you mechanisms
to cleanly extend the loading any way you want. Just write a very small
one that could even load using your own proprietary scheme
I would even go further and claim that your design is overly flawed if
you embed around a single loading mechanism. You need to make it flexible.

Maintain your own patches separately, fork if you want to but please keep
the kernel clean. I dont plan on using that patch even if the loading
mechanism required (for example by a customer) was tftp.

cheers,
jamal