Re: BUG REPORT w/ ksymoops output

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 21:07:43 +1100

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 03:02:37 -0600,
James Thoenen <jjt@umr.edu> wrote:
>WARNING: This version of ksymoops is obsolete.
>WARNING: The current version can be obtained from ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops
>Warning: ksyms_base symbol __cpu_logical_map_R__ver___cpu_logical_map not found in System.map. Ignoring ksyms_base entry
>Warning: ksyms_base symbol __global_cli_R__ver___global_cli not found in System.map. Ignoring ksyms_base entry
>Warning: ksyms_base symbol __global_restore_flags_R__ver___global_restore_flags not found in System.map. Ignoring ksyms_base entry
>Warning: ksyms_base symbol __global_save_flags_R__ver___global_save_flags not found in System.map. Ignoring ksyms_base entry
>Warning: ksyms_base symbol __global_sti_R__ver___global_sti not found in System.map. Ignoring ksyms_base entry

When you see "_R__ver_" in a kernel symbol it is 99.9% certain that you
did not compile the kernel correctly, you have a mixture of old and new
genksym files. This is especially important when the invalid symbols
are in critical areas like SMP locks and cli(). I strongly suggest
that you clean up, rebuild the kernel, then see if you can still
reproduce the error.

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config ..
make mrproper (clean is not enough, it leaves genksym cruft around)
cp ../.config .
make oldconfig
make dep clean bzImage modules (or zImage)
Install your new kernel and modules, reboot.

Also get the latest ksymoops from ftp://ftp.ocs.com.au/pub/ksymoops.