Re: [patch] zoned-2.3.28-H2, NFS

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:36:44 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> It seems like the highmem additions are causing conceptual
> changes (some definately good) in the ARCHITECTURE INDEPENDANT code.
> While it makes some sense to alter the architecture independant code
> in linux/mm, it also kind of seems like the highmem stuff should be in
> arch/i386.

generally there were no changes in the 'core' kernel that were purely
highmem-motivated. All of the changes were basically cleanups which make
conceptual sense to other architectures as well. Eg. the VM cleanup wrt.
'struct page *' simplified the code by separating virtual and physical
addresses, bootmem allows more efficient use of RAM and a much more
complex RAM setup, the zone-allocator enables NUMA (and other types of
assymetric memory configurations) and uses less RAM. Maybe the only thing
that is unique to highmem is 'kmap(page)/kunmap(page)', but i think the
current interface is low-impact enough.

-- mingo