Re: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard (we need a method to disable it dynamicall

Benny Amorsen (amorsen@sscnet.com)
15 Nov 1999 00:18:03 +0100

DF> not only that, but it appears some "tuning" on the IBM Travelstar
DF> series laptop drives will damage it. permanently. no longer
DF> accessible hardwarewise.

[..]

DF> for the record, the IBM Travelstar drives that blew up are the
DF> 6.4G and 10G drives. they don't like one of the options you'd
DF> normally set, i don't know which it is and i'm not sure my
DF> warranty will (continue to) cover such testing.

I've been running a Travelstar 10GB drive with:
hdparm -c1d1m16u1W1 /dev/hda
for a few months now. It makes a lot of difference in both benchmarks
and interactive feel when you are actually hitting the disk.

Benny