Re: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard (we need a

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:10:34 -0800

Alan Cox wrote:

> > for example "tune for realtime performance"
> > turns APM off and turns on DMA / unmaskirq /32bit access
> > on all EIDE device.
>
> At which point you just corrupted the hard disk on my old 486. Some things
> unfortunately really cannot be let loose like that.

not only that, but it appears some "tuning" on the IBM Travelstar series
laptop drives will damage it. permanently. no longer accessible
hardwarewise.

i just went through two of these. on the first one, after a couple of months
of "default" options on it, i decided to turn on dma, 32bit, etc. no i
didn't touch pio mod.

some indeterminate time later (i don't know what option did it) i was sitting
in a classroom, the laptop had been suspended for an hour or two and the
little siren in the drive went off. the drive was fried and it took out the
IDE interface port it was on with it. (NEC Versa LX).

after a replacement motherboard and drive, i reinstalled my stuff and
promptly tuned it up. mistake. one week later it blew up.

this time the laptop drive had spun down but i was busy typing away. the
siren goes off. luckily it didn't take the motherboard with it this time. i
slapped in a Fujitsu drive after HP Depot kindly swapped the drive. not only
does the Fujitsu have better timings on it, it hasn't blown up.

for the record, the IBM Travelstar drives that blew up are the 6.4G and 10G
drives. they don't like one of the options you'd normally set, i don't know
which it is and i'm not sure my warranty will (continue to) cover such
testing.

-d

--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux