Re: Mail conventions

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 02:23:10 +0100

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 05:41:19PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I am copying the list so everyone understands what's up with this issue,
> and by the way, I agree with you, and will attempt to do better.

You just violated another convention which is never to repost
publically what has been mailed to you privately.

> What you are talking about is "redacting" a
> portion of the email thread.

No, you are composing new messages which quote part of an old message.
By not quoting all of it you are not deleting anything, merely 'not-
copying' part of the email to which you are replying. Of course you
would still need to keep the full text of the mail to which you are
replying lying around.

> I have been personally fined by the
> courts upwards of $100,000.00 per production requests for alleged
> "missing" email fragments.

But you have much more experience with the US courts than I have, and
I thank my lucky stars for that. So if they really are as stupid as
you say, and keeping the whole text of the message to which you are
replying in a different message in the same folder isn't enough then
I guess you will have to continue to quote in that crazy way.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com      Ceterum censeo, Lex Americana esse delendam!