Re: genhd.c - can't turn DDO off!??

Torsten Landschoff (t.landschoff@gmx.net)
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:58:21 +0100

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 01:10:57AM +0100, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> OK - reasonable enough.
> It is easy to add some ioctl that does what you want.
> On the other hand, there are not so many people that want to go
> from a disk with to a disk without Disk Manager without rebooting.

Hmm, maybe. I never had such a big IDE drive myself. It's delivered with
this disk manager and so I think many people will install it. The joke
is Windows can work with it but not if I install LILO!?

Perhaps I should investigate but the disk manager is gone now :)

> [And even if the ioctl is there, who will use it?
> Hmm. Of course the new blockdev utility.
> I suppose I'll add it sooner or later.]

Cool! I could write a patch if needed but I don't know the Linux style
for doing something like this.

> 12:57am up 1002 days, 13:47, 2 users, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
>
> Never rebooted because of something like drive geometry...

Hmm, wasn't there a wrap around at 497 days or somesuch?

Thanks
Torsten