Re: genhd.c - can't turn DDO off!??

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:21:37 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

>> If the Linux kernel detects the presence of some disk manager
>> on an IDE disk, it will try to remap the disk in the same way
>> this disk manager would have done, so that Linux sees the same
>> disk partitioning as for example DOS with OnTrack or EZ-Drive.
>> However, NO remapping is done when a geometry was specified
>> on the command line
>>

>> (The details are a bit dependent upon kernel version.
>> This was written for 2.0.*. If you are running 2.3.*
>> and have problems, come back and I can explain the 2.3.* details.)
>
>I should have been more verbose... I was writing that after using the
>"hda=c,h,s" kernel parameter to get around it. Just wanted to mention
>that there should be an option to do that in a running system. I don't
>like rebooting because of something like drive geometry... :)

Compile IDE support as a module, and boot of initrd.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org