[OT, flamebait?, reduntant?] Re: [linux-kernel] mailing list properties

Peter Hanecak (hanecak@megaloman.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:29:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 cspeare@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Don't know if this idea has been brought up before, but a lot of mailing lists
> make a habit of putting the name of the list in brackets in the subject, as I
> have
> done. This is a cool thing because it allows people to easily set up scripts to
> filter their mail into folders. Having about 4 mailing list subscriptions I find
> it a
> valuable feature. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

filtering of incoming mails is good idea BUT making subjects longer is
not.

for example i'm using pine in (mostly) 80x25 xterm window and when
subjects are long i did not see them whole. that's why i do not like
"garbage" in subjects.

for example you are (maybe) using outlook or something which can't make
filtering based on any mail header so you are left with filtering based on
subject.

i'm using procmail to filter my mails. kernel mailing lists are sorted
using this header:

Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

this header is present in all e-mails which goes through krnel mailing
list so such rule is very good. and do not requires aditions to subject.

making subjects longer (with for example "[linux-kernel]" at the begining)
can result in something like this for me:

[...]
101 Oct 21 someone@there (5,000) [linux-kernel] Re: access_ok inside k
103 Oct 21 someoneelse@here (10,000) [linux-kernel] Re: [OT] Re: Colour bl
[...]

not very good to determine which post is interesting to me :(

so i sugest:
1) leaving subjects as they are
2) making my xterm bigger (sugestion for me :)
3) you getting better mail client or learning whether your existing one
has the ability to filter using "Sender" header

sincerely

hany