Re: keymap error when closing X

Ookhoi (ookhoi@dds.nl)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 13:11:52 +0200

Hi Brandon,

> In message <19991015140105.A761@ookhoi.dds.nl>, Ookhoi writes:
> +-----
> | > I get the following when closing Xwindows.
> | >
> | > What does this mean?
> | > How do I fix it?
> | >
> | > System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
> | -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap
> | > compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fa
> | tal to the X server"
> | > keymap/xfree86 /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm'
> | > xinit: connection to X server lost.
> | >
> | > I wonder if part of the problem is that 'us' is an empty file in /usr/X11R6
> | /lib/X11/xkb/symbols
> |
> | I have the same message when I _start_ X. As soon as the XDM loginscreen
> | is there, or when X is running, the mouse and keyboard don't work. They
> | do during boot. Don't know if the message is related with the malfunctioning
> | of the keyboard and mouse.
> +--->8
>
> It's not related. Also, it's not an error; if you look closely, the "error"
> strings are *arguments* to the command.
>
> It's just the X server telling you that it is executing a command. Said
> command has arguments that cause it to document its log output *if it has
> any*, which it apparently doesn't because the "Errors from" line only occurs
> as an argument and not by itself.
>
> As for the "xinit: connection to X server lost", that usually indicates that
> you used CTRL-ALT-BackSpace to abort the X server (although it *could*
> indicate the server died for some other reason).

I killed the X server via a remote login. Of course I couldn't kill the
server with a ctrl-alt-backspace, because keyboard didn't work.

> In any case, X server problems are not appropriate for linux-kernel; X
> doesn't have a kernnel component.

I know, but as I wrote in my previous message, with kernel 2.3.21
prepatch 2 the keyboard and mouse die, and with kernel 2.3.19 X works
fine. That is the reason I cc'ed it to linux-kernel. You did cut that
part of my message out of your reply.

Ookhoi