Re: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Right, and as I trust the IDE driver to do this right, I expect it
> to work.
>
> For example:
>
> To get some extra speed out of a drive, some manufacturers give the
> interrupt a few microseconds earlier than when the data is fully
> available. With faster and faster hardware, it becomes possible to
> empty the buffer before it is fully available.... Data corruption. Now
> by sharing the interrupt, the OTHER drive may be interrupting, and the
> processor gets that few microsecond lead....

You are exactly right. The HPT366 chipset has the ablity to set a leading
interrupt against a variable FIFO buffer size 512|1024|2048 per channel.
You can also vary the threshold level of the FIFO capacity to initiate the
trigger, 62.5%|50.0%|25.0%|12.5% are the ranges off the top of my head.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy