Re: Linux 2.2.12 locking up

Nate Riffe (inkblot@geocities.com)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:22:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Barrett G. Lyon wrote:

> At 11:44 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:

> >> I'm having exactly the same problems, hard lock and no debug messages.
> >> Magic sys-req are dead too, but ATX reset still works.
> >
> >Exactly the same problem here.
> >
> >> I'm running
> >> 2.2.12 SMP, IDE root fs, Adaptec 2940 SCSI with a DVD, and a Realtek 8139.
> >
> >Probably not the Realtek, I had a Realtek card and switched to a 3c905 and
> >the freezes still happen (they've been happing since 2.2.10, but have
> >gotten much less frequent with each version). I'm running 2.2.12 single
> >processor, IDE root fs and CDROM, and Adaptec 1542 SCSI.
> >
> >Could it be a problem with mixed IDE and SCSI drives? It seems like it
> >would have come up sooner if that were the case. Disk activity was
> >involved in every crash that I can remember. When there's network
> >activity I suspect it's incoming mail, but the 04:00 daily cron jobs
> >sometimes do it, too.
> >

> I have the same problem with 2.2.12 and newer. What happens is for
> whatever reason the system takes over the cpu, and the box falls over.
> That's all I have been able to observe.

You mean the system CPU usage rises until user space is starved to death?
Interesting. I've noticed that my system slows down for a few seconds
right before it crashes. I'll have to watch and see if that's what's
going on here.

> -Barrett
>

> Barrett G. Lyon
> Hot Networking DBA TheShell
> Use a real computer: www.alphaLinux.org
>
> Hey, do they test this stuff before it's released?
> Sure they do... "it compiles, it's ready!"

Nate Riffe Duct tape by any other name is just as
inkblot@geocities.com sticky.