Re: Linux 2.2.12 locking up

Barrett G. Lyon (blyon@netpr.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:02:37 -0700

At 11:44 PM 9/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Aaron Holtzman wrote:
>
>> It would seem that Nate Riffe (inkblot@geocities.com) said:

>> > Yes. It usually happens while I'm running X, but it has happened without
>> > X running before. Generally there is disk activity and network activity
>> > at the time of the lockup as well. I suspect the kernel is having
>> > problems with interrupts happening simultaneously, but I can't verify
>> > that.
>> >

>> I'm having exactly the same problems, hard lock and no debug messages.
>> Magic sys-req are dead too, but ATX reset still works.
>
>Exactly the same problem here.
>
>> I'm running
>> 2.2.12 SMP, IDE root fs, Adaptec 2940 SCSI with a DVD, and a Realtek 8139.
>
>Probably not the Realtek, I had a Realtek card and switched to a 3c905 and
>the freezes still happen (they've been happing since 2.2.10, but have
>gotten much less frequent with each version). I'm running 2.2.12 single
>processor, IDE root fs and CDROM, and Adaptec 1542 SCSI.
>
>Could it be a problem with mixed IDE and SCSI drives? It seems like it
>would have come up sooner if that were the case. Disk activity was
>involved in every crash that I can remember. When there's network
>activity I suspect it's incoming mail, but the 04:00 daily cron jobs
>sometimes do it, too.

I have the same problem with 2.2.12 and newer. What happens is for
whatever reason the system takes over the cpu, and the box falls over.
That's all I have been able to observe.

-Barrett

Barrett G. Lyon
Hot Networking DBA TheShell
Use a real computer: www.alphaLinux.org

Hey, do they test this stuff before it's released?
Sure they do... "it compiles, it's ready!"