Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
25 Sep 1999 18:40:42 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.E11Udbd-00050a-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> - Linus has to process patches for everything in the kernel tree.
>
>Thats Linus being Linuslike 8)
>
>> The bigger the kernel tree gets, the harder it is to configure,
>> navigate, understand, etc.
>
>Which is harder
>
>'Bananavision capture card ?'
>type N
>
>or
>
>'How do I search the web for a foo1500 scsi controller. Has anyone tested
> this driver with 2.2.11. Why doesn't it work with the blah controller I got
> driver from www.somewhere.org. The blah author says its your fault you say
> its his - now what'

Don't forget the third option:

'If I want to use the Bananavision capture card, I need to upgrade to
kernel <foo>... Oh, if I upgrade to kernel foo, I need to completely
replace my network utilities, dhcpd, and my module utilities, plus I
lose support for driver <K> which I need to run my <so-and-so>'

I've run into the third option; I've got a Netgear GA620 ethernet
card, and was easier for me to convert the server to FreeBSD than it
was to migrate my system to a kernel level that would support the
GA620.

____
david parsons \bi/ Ugh, the FreeBSD admin layer is pretty ugly.
\/