Re: PCI patch for 2.3.16

Drago Goricanec (drago@king.otsd.ts.fujitsu.co.jp)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:17:54 +0900

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Mares wrote:
> >
> > o Introduce some mechanism for manual setting of the kernel view
> > of IRQ's, so that people having motherboards with broken BIOSes
> > can fix the things manually.
>
> As far as I know, the information should be in the ACPI tables, and those
> should be findable without any BIOS calls.

I have an early VAIO laptop (PCG-707C) that has USB ports, but nothing
in the BIOS setup screens to configure/enable them. The laptop came
with Win95 OSR2 preinstalled, and I can use the USB devices with my
Logitech scanner in Windows.

I built the USB drivers in Linux 2.2.10, but when I tried to loaded
the usb-uhci module, I got EBUSY, because the IRQ registered was 0.
Apperently, the BIOS initializes the PCI INTERRUPT_LINE register to
0xff for this device. I can change this value with setpci, but it
doesn't change the value already stored in the PCI structures in the
kernel.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Sony to update their BIOS on
this old machine to allow me to program the IRQ. I need a way to tell
the Linux kernel what IRQ it can use for the USB device.

cheers,
Drago