Re: PCI patch for 2.3.16

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Mares wrote:

> o Introduce some mechanism for manual setting of the kernel view
> of IRQ's, so that people having motherboards with broken BIOSes
> can fix the things manually.

I expect this to blow up for a number of people - how certain are you that
all BIOSes really do this right? I'd be surprised if there weren't
problems with pointers to >64kB segments etc on various architectures,
resulting in nonbootable systems.

As far as I know, the information should be in the ACPI tables, and those
should be findable without any BIOS calls.

Quite frankly, I'm not willing to start to use more BIOS calls that are
likely to be broken on some (unlikely) machines just to avoid problems on
other (unlikely) machines. EVERY time we've had a BIOS interface, we've
had trouble on some machines. We don't want to go down that path.

Linus