Re: Kernel Panic, root fs..

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:40:24 +1000

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 09:17:59AM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> $0.02 ->
> Big strings mean big kernels. Not too good. The kernel doesn't
> know, and *** must not know *** about 'dev/sda1'. The kernel knows
> about major/minor devices numbers, not about some abitrary strings inside
> a file-name.
>
> A file-name is just a 'trick' to associate a major/minor device number
> with a file descriptor. It doesn't even have to be in /dev......

Some people would say that the major/minor numbers are the "trick", and
that a properly designed kernel would have a namespace for devices.

However this is an unresolvable argument that's been beaten to death on
linux-kernel before, so I'm not going to belabor the point further.

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871   Fax: +61 2 6230 1515   E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au