Re: Question about hard links...

(no name) ((no email))
16 Aug 1999 07:54:58 -0400

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Micahel Zappe wrote:
>> I am working on a file system driver for linux, and have run into a
>> problem with hard links. I am attempting to put per-directory quota
>> support into the filesystem, rather than per-volume, and hard links
> It doesn't make sense. Directory doesn't contain files. It refers to them.

Come on. You know very well that by pretending that each directory is a mount
point you get this containment behavior that you claim "doesn't make sense".

Allowing hard-links across those pseudo-mount-points is probably too much
trouble, so only hardlinks within a directory should be allowed.

Hard-links within a quota-space are not as easy to handle properly as it seems
since you have to somehow deal with the case where you suddenly divide one
quota-space into two.

Stefan