Re: Saving device driver state during shutdown

tytso@mit.edu
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:49:03 -0400

From: Joe Cotellese <joec@ensoniq.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 14:32:40 -0400

Can anyone tell me if a method exists for saving device driver state
during shutdown. It seems to me that there may be instances where
devices might need to save some state information (in my case, audio
mixer settings) during shutdown. Searching through the kernel
sources and various on-line references I didn't see anything like
this. Does anyone think this is a good idea? If not, does another
method exists for saving state, for example an ioctl interface to a
ring 3 component?

Look at how the setserial package grabs configuration state information
from the kernel at shutdown time, and writes it to a file in /etc. It
then reloads the information at boot time. It's pretty simple to do
this in an rc script.

- Ted