Re: Your backup is unsafe!

Robert de Bath (rd103979@home-box.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:46:16 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <aa06777206b9fa39@home-box.demon.co.uk> Robert de Bath (rd103978@home-box.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > Apperently the VFAT needs some more cleaning, I imagine when perfect the
> > short names will have no effect what so ever if the filesystem is mounted
> > as a VFAT partiton, the only way you'll be able to do anything with them
> > is with the SAMBA ioctls.
>
> You CAN NOT do this. Windows9X will be VERY upset if there are will be two
> directories: one -- PROGRA~1 with LFN "Program files" and other -- some
> other short name (not relevant) with LFN "PROGRA~1". And if short names are
> hidded you can create such mess with just `mkdir PROGRA~1'...

Snigger, explorer does get pretty confused doesn't it ?
It looks like the LFN file selector can't decide if it's LFN or SFN.
Anything that's 16bit is fine though.
It gets even better when one of the is a file and the other a directory
"The folder was moved or removed" :-)

I suppose if somebody does that we've got a choice between Windows getting
confused in this way or confusing windows by changing the short name of the
other file/directory. Well, scandisk doesn't think that the name collision
is a problem so it must be a Windows bug in explorer :-)

--
Rob.                          (Robert de Bath <http://poboxes.com/rdebath>)
                    <rdebath @ poboxes.com> <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>