Re: (disk/cpu) kernel performance problem

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:29:09 +0100

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 09:54:58PM +0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > 1) The kernel copies data many times before it ends up in user
> > space.

> I'm very sorry, but you seem to be too late. This problem is
> (at least partially) fixed in the newer 2.3 kernels...

Hmm, I think 2.2 works just like 2.3 as far as reads go (I've just read
fs/read_write.c and mm/filemap.c for 2.2.10 and they seem to suggest this);
writing was the issue dealt with in the page cache overhaul IIRC.

--
Mommy, where were you when Demon sold out its customers to cover its ass?