Re: GPF, Oops on system halt

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.loth.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:20:50 +0100

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 03:56:34PM -0400, Ethan C. Baldridge wrote:

> After installing Redhat 6.0 on two brand-new workstations with identical
> hardware (single AMD K6-2 450, 6G HDD, 128 MB SDRAM, AOpen 100MHz AGP
> ATX motherboard), they both exhibited the same problem when shutting
> down the system to move them. Repeated tests under various BIOS
> settings have shown the same error.
>
> > The system is halted.
> > Stopping all md devices.
> > Power down.
> > general protection fault: f000
> > CPU: 0
> > EIP: 0050:[<000089c5>]
> > EFLAGS: 00010046

I'm guessing that it's a buggy BIOS APM implementation, as the EIP value
isn't in the kernel (I'm guessing it's in the BIOS, I don't know much about
these things); either that or we have buggy power down code -- I suspect the
former as I recall seeing stuff on l-k about this before -- try a search of
the archives.

--
"House Plants are for ornamental use only and not for consumption"
Notice in Sainsbury's Supermarket, London - Daily Mail