[OT] Re: ATI LT Pro (was: Re: before it is too late - 0x5a5a5a5a type

Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:21:28 +0200

ki@kretz.co.at wrote:

<snip>
> offtopic:
>
> does anybody have experience with the ATI rage LT pro
> (
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4c42 (rev dc)
> Subsystem: Unknown device abcd:8501
> Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
> Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> I/O ports at 8000
> Memory at d9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> Capabilities: [50] AGP version 1.0
> Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 1
> )
> using vga=792 (framebuffer) it very often happens that the LCD screen stays
> dark (the Penguin does not show up) and I have to power cycle the machine.
> Going into the BIOS setup and switching the display to LCD+VGA and then
> back to LCD and save the options seems to help somewhat but not always......
> (I have to use the framebuffer to be able to use X-Windows, it is the only
> way to get it working...)
>
> The notebook is a Kapok 8500P assembled in Austria by a company called
> Gericom BTW.

<snip>
What fb driver are you using? The normal ATI Rage driver will not
correctly initialize the LCD port part of the chip - at least it did not
in <= 2.2.5 kernels. You have to use VESA FB.
But apart from that: Have you tried http://marc.mutz.com/X/ as a
possible solution to your X problem? It features a patched X server for
use with the 1024x768 resolution _only_. There are other links, however,
that discuss 800x600, too.

Hope that helps...

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)